General Dentistry ServicesLanham, MD
If you are in need of general dentistry services, call (301) 909-4026 to schedule an appointment with our Lanham dental office. We focus on providing preventative dental care, performing a variety of dental procedures to keep patients in excellent oral health. By providing comprehensive care, we can ensure your teeth remain as healthy as possible and that if anything does develop, we can treat the condition as soon as possible. Whether you are concerned about your bad breath, have a toothache, or want to improve the appearance of your smile, we can help. At Blissful Dental, our staff is warm and friendly. We will take the time to understand your oral health concerns and provide you with the information and services you need to maintain lifelong oral health.
Our general dentistry services include:
Teeth cleanings and examinations.
At our Lanham dental office, we recommend you have your teeth cleaned at least twice per year. This way, we can remove the plaque that has built up on or in between your teeth. Regardless of how well you brush your teeth, it is difficult to clean hard-to-reach spaces, leading to a buildup of plaque and tartar. Since plaque can increase your risk of getting cavities, removing it can help you to be in better health. These appointments can be completed quickly, and we can attempt to work within your schedule.
Oral cancer detection.
Our general dentistry services include looking for signs of oral cancer while cleaning and examining your teeth. At Blissful Dental, we understand the important role we play in detecting signs of the disease. It is difficult, if not impossible, to see the inside of your mouth, which makes it difficult to see signs of oral cancer until the disease has spread. While cleaning your teeth, we can look for hard lumps, bumps, red and white spots, and rough patches – all traditional signs of oral cancer. If we see these signs, we can refer you to an oncologist for further testing.
Bad breath treatments.
If your breath is smelly, you do not have to live with it. Call 301-909-4026 to schedule a dental examination and bad breath treatment. Very often, this is caused by a cavity, infection, or gum disease. By cleaning your teeth and your tongue, we can typically remove the cause of your bad breath. If you have another issue, like dry mouth, that is causing the problem, we can discuss further ways to improve it.
Treating gum disease.
In our Lanham, MD dental office, we both prevent and treat gum disease. This is one of our most important general dentistry services because if gum disease is left untreated, it can lead to gum recession and tooth loss. We can treat it by removing plaque from underneath your gums. Typically, this will help restore your gums to good health. However, if your gums begin to recede, we can discuss more intensive general dentistry services.
If you or your children have deep ridges on the chewing surfaces of your teeth, you should consider dental sealant. Patients can use this procedure as a way to reduce their risk of developing cavities. This is an easy way to protect your teeth, because we can apply sealant in a matter of minutes. It works by acting like a protective barrier so food particles and plaque cannot become trapped, thereby reducing your risk of developing cavities.
Studies have found that a fluoride treatment can reduce your child's risk of getting cavities by 30 percent or more. If you live in the Lanham area, visit our dental office and ask for a fluoride treatment on an annual basis. Fluoride works as a mineral that strengthens your teeth. In between appointments, you can use a fluoride toothpaste to continue strengthening them.
At Blissful Dental, we can treat any of your cavities and restore the missing tooth structure with a dental filling. We can place natural-looking, tooth-colored fillings, so your tooth looks both natural and beautiful.
If the center of your tooth is infected, you most likely need a root canal. The obvious sign of this is if you have tooth sensitivity or a toothache. To perform a root canal, we will create a small hole in the tooth to remove the infected area prior to cleaning the area, seal it up with a rubber-like material, and then use a filling or dental crown to restore and protect the tooth. We will numb the area to be sure you feel comfortable during the procedure. It will last slightly longer than treating a cavity, but the process is fairly similar. This is one of the general dentistry services we perform to save an infected tooth and prevent the need for it to be extracted.
If you have damaged your tooth, our general dentistry services can restore it in both form and appearance. We have several options for doing so, including dental bonding, dental veneers, and dental crowns. All of these options can look natural and make your tooth function as well as it did prior to becoming damaged.
Check out what others are saying about our general dentistry services on Yelp: General Dentistry Services Lanham
Preventative Care Tips From Our General Dentistry Office
As a provider of general dentistry services, we understand the power and importance of education. We believe that when our patients are better informed, they can make healthier decisions that will reduce the likelihood of them developing cavities or infections. This is why we take the time to discuss oral health. When you visit our Lanham dental office, we can show you and your family how to brush your teeth properly, how to select the right toothbrush, what foods to avoid and what foods to eat for a healthy mouth and beautiful smile. We can also provide you with specific instructions that relate to your personal oral health. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call (301) 909-4026.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries is also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of General Dentistry Services