Dental CleaningLanham, MD
At Blissful Dental, we provide dental cleanings and examinations to patients throughout Lanham. We believe that preventative care is essential for staying in good oral health. Our goal is to keep our patients as healthy as possible. The best way to do so is through ongoing dental care and teaching our patients how to practice good oral hygiene at home. If you live in the Lanham area, call (301) 909-4026 to schedule your exam and to learn how you can stay healthy year-round.
Dental Cleanings and Examinations for Children
Our team works with patients of various ages and knows how to help children to feel comfortable while visiting the dentist. Families throughout Maryland visit our dentist office to for their child to receive a teeth cleaning. We recommend that teeth cleanings and exams start from a very young age. This is important for ensuring that baby teeth grow in properly and stay healthy until the adult teeth are ready to come in. People may not realize how important healthy baby teeth are. Children can get cavities and gum disease just like adults do. The difference being that children are less capable of understanding or dealing with discomfort. We recommend that parents throughout Lanham bring their children in for dental cleanings and examinations at least twice a year. This way, we can remove harmful plaque and bacteria in order to prevent cavities.
While cleaning children's teeth, our staff will be sure to practice gentle dentistry. By building a rapport with our young patients, they will feel more relaxed during their dental appointments. Thus, visiting the dentist becomes fun instead of intimidating. We also recommend that parents take the time to read stories about going to the dentist and play games by teaching children how to examine their toy's teeth. These little steps can help children to feel comfortable when getting their own teeth cleaned. By doing so twice a year, their baby teeth are more likely to stay in until they are supposed to fall out, and their adult teeth will also stay healthier. If you have questions about scheduling an appointment for your child call 301-909-4026.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Dental Cleaning Lanham
Lanham Dental Cleaning and Examinations
We recommend that adults throughout Lanham MD receive teeth cleanings at least twice a year, as well. Good oral health is important regardless of how old you are. As people age, their risk for an oral infection continues to increase. The older teeth get, the more the protective enamel starts to wear away, and it can become easier to get a cavity. The best way to combat this is by brushing and flossing throughout the day in addition to visiting the dentist on a regular basis. We offer flexible appointment times so that you can schedule an appointment around your work or family schedule, making it easier than ever to get a teeth cleaning.
At Blissful Dental, we practice gentle dentistry and provide teeth cleanings for patients with sensitive teeth. Many adults avoid visiting the dentist due to concern that their teeth will hurt or feel worse during the exam or subsequent cleaning. When working with the right dentist, you can feel comfortable regardless of how sensitive your teeth are. We offer a variety of sedation methods so that you do not have to feel anything while getting your dental cleaning and examinations. Whether you need something to relax or direct pain medication, we can create a treatment plan that includes sedation so that you can remain comfortable.
If you live in Maryland, it is important to understand the reason that teeth become sensitive. Very often, it is due to the enamel on the outside of the teeth wearing away. Enamel can wear away due to age, what you eat and improper oral health care. While brushing with desensitizing toothpaste can help, you need to continue visiting the dentist to ensure that your teeth and gums stay healthy. Otherwise, the sensitivity can increase. During your dental exam, let us know about the discomfort you are feeling so that we can discuss ways to reduce it by using methods such as a fluoride treatment or sealant.
Regularly scheduled dental cleaning and examinations can help to prevent a dental emergency. Many adults go far too long between visits to the dentist. As a year or two goes by, infections can develop that create a painful situation and lead to dental emergencies. For example, a minor cavity can be corrected with minimal discomfort. However, if the infection spreads into the center of the tooth, the dental pulp can become infected and a root canal will become necessary. Fortunately, these types of infections can typically be avoided by scheduling an appointment twice a year with Brenda E. Howard, DMD. It is important to keep in mind that healthy teeth are also less likely to become damaged or injured. By staying in good health, you can prevent teeth from becoming cracked or chipped during an accident
During the teeth cleaning and examination, we will also discuss ways that you can keep your teeth and gums healthy at home. At Blissful Dental, we believe that good oral hygiene at home is important to do in conjunction with visiting our office. We recommend that you use a soft toothbrush to brush your teeth twice a day and use fluoride toothpaste. This will keep harmful sugar and bacteria off of your teeth and the fluoride will help to strengthen them. You will also benefit from flossing daily to get food particles and bacteria out of hard to reach places. Following up with an antibacterial mouthwash will help to kill any remaining germs.
Your diet is also important to good oral health. Make sure to drink plenty of water and eat a diet that contains dairy products, lean protein, green vegetables and complex carbs so that your body gets the nutrients it needs to stay healthy. We can provide additional tips and information during your dental cleaning and examinations. To schedule your appointment with Blissful Dental call (301) 909-4026.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries is also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Dental Cleaning and Examinations